Betting on Ice - The Magners Celtic League Betting Blog

Providing betting tips for the Magners Celtic League with informed knowledge and expert analysis.

Monday, October 02, 2006

Leicester v Newport Gwent Dragons - EDF Cup

Our little band of travellers had finally made it to the Venice of the Midlands and after securing some necesary supplies - fags and hip flask brandy and lobbing our bags off in the requisite B&B's we made our way to the Victory pub for a small sherry or two.

The pub was as ever a nice friendly place with a couple of decent beers on tap,
we numbered about 20 by now and watched in stony, passive silence as the blues shagged over the wasps. We made it to the ground and preceded to get the fecking beers in, we found it was quicker to go to the clubhouse and up the stairs than to actually wait in line outside. Much to our amusement we found that we couldn’t smoke anywhere in the ground and some of the Nazi stewards came in for a bit of gentle banter.

The game started and we adopted the position. Usual stuff really but we sung, cheered and shouted and my call of “that’s every time Ref” seemed, much to my delight, agitate a few of the Tiger fans with us. Quite why I don’t know as I was shouting it at restarts and lineouts. All good fun.The game ended in a bit of a blur and I actually didn’t realize that Kevin Morgan had scored another try for us until I got back home and was watching the highlights on Scrum V.

We stayed on the terraces for ages, chatting away and sharing the last of our hip flasks, it was all quite pleasant. The Dragons came and warmed down next to us and we treated them to 15 minutes of god-awful singing but we got them all smiling.We then lumbered into the clubhouse, which is where it all started to go a bit mad. There we were singing and dancing to the band and generally having a riot when all of the Leicester team, Martin Corry et al entered. They were all tied together in 3-legged race stlyee and to be honest – it was fucking mental. Corry (or as I like to call him now, Martin) got absolutely badgered on blue WKD and Andy Goode got totally destroyed. I have the pictures to prove this.

The band played on but it now consisted mainly of drunken fans and Leicester players and it was starting to get messy. I nipped outside to have a quick smoke and spotted the floodlights were still on so I had a quick walk up and down the pitch (well, running around like a drunken fool punching the air and added Welford road to my list of pitches.The bar was now closed in the club house and we decided to go to my mates pub in Narborough where we were promised as much free beer as we could handle, I was having difficulty in focusing and holding onto things by the time we decided to hit a late night curry house in Leicester. Bizarrely….There was a fight in the curry house between two members of staff which was hugely entertaining and rounded off the day superbly.

I have to say that the trip was one of the best ever – The Tigers fans were and are fantastic and we met so many really nice people, I really can’t adequately say here what they were like but I have no problem supporting Leicester and wishing them well in their endeavours for the future – they left that big an impression on me. It was great meeting the players as well, haven a drunken conversation with the current England captain was pretty cool to be honest and it was also good to meet Geordan Murphy, me lucky charms.

My only regret is pissing the bed at the B&B.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home